Wednesday, January 4, 2017

1970 - Alouette Lake & Mt. Wedge

Alouette Lake with Dennis Brown
Location of Alouette Lake
My Flickr site for more pictures - 

Dennis and I shared a great interest in getting out and doing things in the outdoors, whether it was hiking, climbing, or in this case, canoeing.

A very still Alouette Lake
We paddled up beyond the narrows of Alouette Lake to a place on the west shore where we could spend the night.  I remember animated discussions about a wide range of topics and with Dennis's intellect, they were never boring.
Dennis
In the picture above, Dennis holds a small flashlight in his mouth, while he gets at some food in a can. ..... Don't ask.
Morning mist.
Although our paths diverged in the ensuing years, I have very fond memories of our times together.  As it turned out, we reconnected and see one another on a fairly regular basis. (2017)


Wedge Mountain - Garibaldi Park June, 1970
Location of Mt. Wedge
On the west ridge of Wedge.
Dennis Brown and I hiked up the wooded west ridge of Wedge without advantage of a trail. It was our first time up the mountain and we pitched our little Blacks summit tent soon after we broke into the alpine area. The next day was windy and cold and I didn't go all the way up the talus strewn west ridge. Dennis went on up while I huddled beside a rock out of the wind.
The Whistler Valley beyond.
It felt like a big mountain. It is the highest peak in Garibaldi Park at something over 9000 ft. Indeed it was the biggest one I had tried to go up so far. It was an exciting feeling. I'm not sure if I was intimidated by it or if I was just pooped out too much to continue to the top. Regardless, it was a great adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment