Friday, January 20, 2017

1999 - Golden Triangle Bike

The Golden Triangle Bike Tour

Starting in Golden are going anti-clockwise.

- Golden to Radium Hot Springs - a flat but possibly hot 107 km
- Radium to Marble Canyon Campground - Sinclair Pass starts it off and its long and steep - a rolling 87 km
- Marble Canyon Campground to Lake Louise - 43 km with a great downhill to Castle junction.
- Lake Louise to Golden - 83 km with a lot of downhill


A new park!

A special account by Dave Dixon of our cycle tour of the famous "Golden Triangle" follows - a trip south from Golden to Radium B.C., then north-east to world famous Lake Louise Alberta, and then back west to Golden.


Keith

The picture of me was taken the morning we left the Marble Canyon campground and were approaching Vermillion Pass on our way to Lake Louise.


From Dave Dixon - 


Dave

As I took delivery of my new Cannondale hybrid bike from the bike shop in Vancouver, I felt the anticipation of my first trip with the Red Lobsters rise. I thought back to the time, nearly three years ago, that I had talked to Keith about cycling and the famous Golden Triangle - Golden to Radium Hot Springs to Lake Louise to Golden - and realized that in just a couple weeks, I would be leaving. 
I spent the next week in the Okanagan, training for the ride. I rode 25, 30, 40 and finally 45 km, cycling a variety of up and downhill routes. The bike felt comfortable and I was learning to shift smoothly with it - my previous bike had had rapid fire shifters while my Cannondale has grip shifters.
After returning to the lower mainland, I made several trips to Mountain Coop to make the necessary purchases for the trip. I also went on another ride with 3 of the lobsters (Keith, Dale and Chuck) to Mission for breakfast and then through the Matsqui valley. The total ride was close to 80 km. I felt in pretty good shape - my knees didn't hurt and my wrists were OK. I probably hadn't trained enough but I did some and was now more or less ready for the Golden Triangle.
There were five of us on the trip. Keith, who suggested the trip to me and planted the seed three years ago, is a big guy - similar to myself - and very personable. He is called Troll because he likes to hide under bridges and cool down when the going is really hot. Chuck is a compact and very fast cyclist with no nickname. Many come to mind when his great sense of humour is considered. Dale, also called Lickety Split, lives up to his name as he, too, is fast. I've known Dale for ten years and have enjoyed his wit and friendship during that time. Ken is a strong yet also fast cyclist and is also the chief photographer. The origin of his nickname of Brown Hornet is either long forgotten or shrouded in mystery. Finally, I am Dave - and this trip was my first overnight trip with this group that call themselves the Red Lobsters. I am not really a lobster as the trip is only one element of joining. I guess I think of myself as more a Crab or even a Geoduck!


The start in Golden.

We left on Monday, August 2nd, and drove to Golden, B.C. The trip was pretty uneventful except for the fact that I was the only one of the five cyclists that doesn't get carsick. Through judicious use of Gravol and breaks, we all made it to Golden in time for dinner. I did happen to see a former student, Luke, on the way.
In Golden, we met up with another teacher, Greta, her sister, Kira, and fiancee, Craig. We all went and had an excellent dinner and some special Carbo loaded drinks (beers) at a pub in Golden. Returning around 8 o'clock, we bedded down at the campsite in anticipation for our adventure. 


Team Lobster

The first day, according to my travelling companions, was flat. Yes, a bit long, but flat. As 80 km was as far as I had ever gone in one day, I was hoping that the flat road would make up for the long distance I had to go. Nope.
We were up at 5:00 AM and broke camp. The first day, I thought that this early wake up was hugely unfair. As you shall see, however, the time was well thought out and I never did complain after the first day. The other group of three that we had met the night before, was still sleeping when we left. We had to run around and do a bunch of things such as drop off the van, load up the bikes, pump the tires and have breakfast so we didn't actually get on the road until 7:00 AM. Still, it was cool and clear when we left Golden.
My first realization was that the word 'flat' is surprisingly open to interpretation. A better word might have been 'rolling' or even 'roller coaster-ish'! Compared to the next day, however, the road was pretty forgiving.
The ride was at a relatively easy pace and we stopped every half hour or so for a break to adjust our bikes and give our rears a rest. After about an hour we came to Parson store. I immediately finished all of my water, drank a large Gatorade and filled up all of my water bottles. For energy, I had a Power Gel (tasted quite good!), tried a bit of Powerbar (horrendous tasting) and stocked up on the preferred energy snack of the lobsters, Eatmore candy bars.
We travelled on from Parson and had a relatively uneventful and enjoyable ride to Spillimacheen. We stopped there for another rest and several litres of Gatorade. As we continued to ride, the temperature increased and the hills seemed to get steeper. My biggest mistake was that I tried to keep up with the speedy guys at the front instead of just setting my own pace. After all, we all were going to the same place!
One scary incident that happened to our group involved one of the many logging trucks that zoomed down the highway at fairly regular intervals. It is easy to see that the drivers of these huge trucks do not, as a rule, like cyclists. Where a car would usually move over whenever going by a cyclist, the logging trucks seemed to try to come as close as possible, making hearts beat at a dramatically increased rate. Even worse, when the leaders of our group were riding, an even closer call occurred. We were heading south towards Radium. A pedestrian was walking north on the highway. A logging truck was also travelling north and because the pedestrian was not staying on the road, the logging truck had to slam on his brakes. Unfortunately, there was another logging truck behind him and he couldn't stop so he swerved to go around the first logging truck, into the southbound lane. He came very close to swerving right into some of our group - it was too close a call.
As the heat increased and I became more tired, I became more and more grateful for each break. During one break, Keith asked to borrow some Gold Bond medicated powder. It was on the list of things to bring and I had some handy. He borrowed a small amount and handed it back to me. I thought of my sore crotch and decided to give myself a squirt of the powder, too. I squirted the powder inside the front of my shorts and a huge amount came out. Not only was there powder coming out of my shorts for the next several hours but the menthol in the powder caused a very irritating sting which also lasted for quite a while! Since then, I have not used Gold Bond medicated powder!
Along the way, most of the group would take the time to ride with me and give me advice. It was very helpful as this was a new experience for me. It was turning out to be a very long ride but it was still enjoyable.

A few more stops, the best by a very refreshing sprinkler, and we rode into Radium Hot Springs - 107 km - for me, the longest ride!
We spent time at the campground, resting and reading. Mosquitoes enjoyed the campsite as much as we did, if their numbers were to be believed. A couple hours after we had arrived, Greta and her travelling companions rolled into camp and literally collapsed. Although younger, they were not quite as experienced and ended up sleeping in, pushing too hard and riding in the midday heat most of the way. After that, they wanted to ride with us seasoned veterans - bringing our group's number to eight.


Radium camp


We walked up to town from the campsite and ended up at a little Italian restaurant. After a delicious pasta meal and a frosty brew, I felt re-energized. After an ice cream cone, we headed back to camp and went to bed, again, around 8 o'clock. Despite the heat, the mosquitoes, the aches and pains and the noisy campers in the next tent, I slept like a log.

After an excellent sleep, we woke around 5:30 AM - and I did not complain a bit! We broke camp and were at the local gas station in Radium by 6 AM for breakfast. There were eight of us, now, and we stocked up on food for later that day, Gatorade and Eatmore candy bars. I bought a Danish for breakfast and saved one for when we finished the hill up to Sinclair Pass.
The hill up to Sinclair Pass is a very steep hill - between 8-11 percent grade - and goes on for 12 km. I had been up hills that were as steep, maybe steeper, but never as long. I had learned my lesson from the day before as I took my time and went at my own pace. It was hard work - at one point, I took a break and looked at my odometer - I had gone 2 km and still had 10 to go before the top of the hill! Still, I took lots of short breaks and drank lots of water and finally made it up the hill - and was greeted with smiles and cheers from all of our group! I celebrated by taking the squashed Danish out of my pannier and savoured its sweet taste as I looked back at the monster hill I had climbed.




Another welcome break

After a good break, we continued on. We went down some excellent hills coming out of Sinclair Pass, reaching speeds of around 60 km. We kept a careful watch for wildlife and made sure that our brakes were working properly and that our panniers were firmly attached. Kira needed to make extra sure that her panniers were on properly as she had bought a new pair for the trip yet they had broken and fallen off a couple times, causing her to fall off her bike. She wasn't seriously injured, however.


And another one. :-)
We continued up and until we hit the 70 km mark at Vermilion Crossing. I was pretty tired at this point, as was most of our group, and was glad to have a chance for a nice long rest. We had lunch, sat back in comfy chairs and chatted. After a few pranks were played involving my snacks, we decided to head off for the final 20 km to Marble Canyon. Unfortunately, my muscles all but seized up during the rest.
The 20 km into Marble Canyon took a lot of effort - not only for me, but the younger threesome had problems with their knees. We all persevered and rode into Marble Canyon, tired, but feeling a strong sense of accomplishment.

Marble Canyon is what is known as a rustic campground. Although there was a shelter with benches, there was no electricity or drinking water. We set up camp and then retired to the shelter for dinner which varied from canned salmon and Pringles chips to sardines and cold spaghetti. Although the water was not drinkable, we had iodine tablets and added them to the available water so we had some for the next day. The only mechanical problem of the trip occurred when I noticed that my tire was flat but it was easily repaired. We talked and read our books until we retired to an early bedtime. It was, undoubtedly, my best sleep of the entire trip!


Refuelling.

After a night of rainy weather, we woke to a breakfast of granola bars as Greta had about 20 of them and wanted to reduce the weight she was carrying. I was looking very forward to the day as I was pretty sore and knew that it was going to be a shorter day. We broke camp and left for Lake Louise.

Similar to Day 2, this day began with a long climb - this time 10 km - but not nearly as steep as the previous day. Both Kira and Craig had very sore knees so they stayed back with me for most of the uphill.


An elk in the mist.


As we began our descent from the top, we spotted an elk by the side of the road. It was a majestic creature, and stayed by the side as we all approached. We lined up across the highway and watched it for a few minutes, and then it hopped over the cement barrier, sauntered across the road, and went up the other side.

After we had gone around 20 km, we came to the junction of Highway 93 and the Trans Canada Highway. A highway worker was there in a truck and we spoke to her. There had been a mud slide on the highway to Jasper and very little traffic was on the Trans Canada. This was great news for us as it meant a much quieter ride. In fact, we celebrated our good fortune by spreading out across the whole highway for a photo opportunity!


Trans Canada Highway all to ourselves.

Most of the rest of the ride was downhill or flat and very enjoyable. We stopped for pictures at the Continental Divide and arrived in good time in Lake Louise before noon.
We set up camp and then rode into town for a filling lunch. We then spent a good part of the afternoon hanging around the mall before heading back to camp for a nap. After our nap, we rode back to town and met up in the local pub. I found the good company, spirited conversation, and frosty brews just the right remedy for my sore and tired muscles. We stopped for a light dinner at a local deli and then rode back to camp. Not the wildest day of recreation but it was still very enjoyable.

Last day! We got up, still early, and I felt very good. That is, until I got on my bike and discovered that my body was, in fact, extremely sore! We had breakfast at a local deli and then began our descent.
It was, in fact, a true descent, as we were headed mainly downhill. We were sure to continue to check our bikes, before any steep downhill, for loose parts. The kilometres went by pretty fast. One site of interest was the spiral tunnel, which is a train tunnel that twists back and forth and enters and leaves the mountains around Kicking Horse Pass. We were fortunate that a train entered the tunnel while we were watching and we were able to watch it snake through the mountain. After the spiral tunnel was a great assortment of hills - down.


Early morning adjustments.

We had a tailwind for a good part of the day and that made the time pass quickly. After around 60 km, we descended into a valley. At the bottom, the road became a bit tricky as there was a sharp 90 degree left turn, then a bridge with no shoulder, followed by narrow uphill. I was lucky enough to be travelling with an experienced group and knew about all of the riding hazards ahead of time. While riding out of the valley, which is in an avalanche area, Keith warned me of some rocks that fell onto the highway from above.
Coming out of the valley was steep and hard work. I found this last, major climb hard thanks to my soreness and the steepness but finished in pretty good time. I rode into Golden a few minutes later, feeling a real sense of accomplishment. In all, we had gone around 335 kilometres in the four days.
Our group of five piled intro the van and drove near Sicamouse, were Chuck's dad lives. After inhaling some liquid refreshment, Keith and I drove onto Maple Ridge while Dale, Chuck and Ken decided to bike home.
It was a great trip - hard, tiring, exhausting at times, but rewarding with a tremendous sense of accomplishment, I had finally risen to the challenge of the Golden Triangle and succeeded. So, where's the ride to next year?










No comments:

Post a Comment