Friday, January 20, 2017

2000 - Fissile with Eric

Fissile with Eric - August, 2000
Mt Fissile
My Flickr site for more pictures - 


Eric climbing out of Singing Pass
I had been wanting to take Eric up to the Himmelsbach hut again with the intention of going up Fissile with him. I have had such good times in the mountains that I wanted to try to share them with Eric and hopefully he would have some of those same feelings.

Lynn and I had got back from our anniversary trip to France in early August, and I still had time to hike before school started up again so off we went. 

We had to park the car in Whistler Village and walk up the old road that follows Fitzsimmons Creek for about four kilometers. Evidently washouts and unstable banks have forced the parks branch to close the road. Gone are the days when the hike was significantly shorter.
I used two ski poles on the hike up and I'm sure that they really help. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older and heavier and my knees aren't the same since Nepal. 

We got to the hut in the cool of the evening and had a meal. There were campers but the hut was empty.


Eric with Russet Lake behind him.

In the picture above, you can see Russet Lake and Fissile just above and to the left of Eric's head. Whirlwind is in the upper right hand corner of the picture. Entering this wonderful mountain world with my son meant a lot to me.


Heading up Fissile

The next morning dawned clear and it was an enjoyable hike up Fissile. The snow slope had a couple of steepish bits, but it didn't provide any real problems.


On top with the Whistler valley in the distance.


In the picture above, you can just see Russet Lake in the middle of the picture on the extreme left. The hut where we stayed is just on the right hand side of the lake. Eric's hat is blocking the view of Blackcomb Village, where we started our hike. You can just make out some ski runs on Whistler in the upper left corner. A number of very dark bottomed clouds greeted us when we got to the summit so we didn't linger too long.


On top with Mt. Davidson and Castle Towers in the distance.


It was great getting up to the top and remembering when I had brought my dad to the same point back in 1974.


Refuse Pinnacle on the left.

After I got home and had a shower I realized how sunburned the top of my head was! You'd think I was developing a bald spot! I now have a Tilley hat. Lesson learned.


He seems to be enjoying himself!

Ah, the joys of a good snow slope!


Heading out.
We spent another night in the hut - a luxury of my summer holidays - being able to spend time in the mountains and not feel that I have to rush back. In the course of a year, we spend so little time actually doing the things we love. It's great being able to linger in that spot and just soak in the view.
I hope Eric enjoyed the experience. Hopefully he felt a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I know I certainly did. I was able to share this wonderful mountain world with my son.



No comments:

Post a Comment