Thursday, January 26, 2017

2011 - Spring in Rockies, Diamond Head, Powell River and Van Island, Washington State, Whistler, Rockies, Spain and Morocco

My Flickr site for more pictures - 


Another Spring Trip to the Rockies
Chris Cooper, Bob Needham, and I made another trip to Canmore to enjoy the Canadian Rockies. I promptly hurt my back by picking up a pair of shoes in the motel room. So this is what it is like getting older! Either that or I need to do the exercises that the physio therapist later suggested.
We spent our first day around Lake Louise. Bob and Chris went up to the Lake Agnes Tea House and I hobbled around the Chateau Lake Louise. Another day Chris hiked up the trail to the top of Sulphur Mountain at Banff. Bob and I were welcomed at the Banff Springs Hotel to walk around and do photography. Really. I had never been inside before. Many of the rooms were wonderful bits of cultural history. I went away that this hotel is a great piece of Canadian history.


I am sure that I have seen this room used in a WWII movie. I just can't remember which one.
My pinched back certainly slowed me down and partially spoiled my trip, but it's always good to be back in the Rockies.

Chris and I made a couple of trips up to Diamond Head for skiing this winter, although the trips are getting noticeably few each year it seems. There was a lot of snow at the Red Heather shelter.

Powell River and Vancouver Island

Location of Powell River


Lund Harbour After A Storm

For some time I had been thinking that I should head up to visit my old haunts and friends in Powell River. I had started my teaching career in Powell River in 1971 and left in 1973 to go to Nepal. (Journal write up on my Nepal trip) I finally got in gear and packed up the CRV with camping and photography gear and caught a ferry. If people weren't home, they weren't home. My timing was impromptu and so I just wanted to take things as they came.
After briefly stopping in Powell River and James Thompson Elementary where I taught, I headed for Lund and a campsite. It poured that night but waiting out the rain nand lightning under an awning of "Nancy's" restaurant bakery proved fruitful. I ended up having good visits with my old room-mate Dave and his wife Leslie, and dropped in for brief visits on a number of people I knew from my teaching days but hadn't seen literally for decades. It was a hoot knocking on a door and seeing if they remembered me. 
I then went over to Comox via the ferry and had a visit with my cousin John who I hadn't seen, you guessed it, for decades. I investigated the old mining town of Cumberland and the few remnants of its history. Perhaps the most interesting artifact was the Japanese/Chinese cemetery. I spent the night at a local motel and realized I could watch past episodes of "House" on my Global TV app on the iPad!
I then headed south to Parksville to camp for the night. A coffee at Starbucks, catching up on my email, and then a walk on the beach to discover driftwood constructions reminding me of what stranded sailors might build on barren Arctic beaches. Ok, it's a bit of a stretch. You had to be there. :-)


A Photography Road Trip in Washington State

Chuck wanted to see the Grand Coulee Dam again, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about in the Palouse. Needless to say that called for a road trip. Ken couldn't go so it was just the two of us. After finding an "acceptable" motel in Grand Coulee we headed to the dam for a movie on the history of the area, and then a laser light show beamed on the dam. The next day we headed south-east to Palouse Falls. As a result of the movie at the dam explaining the geological history of Washington state we had a much better appreciation of what we saw on our drive the next day. Water scouring was clear. The strange fields of out of place boulders was better explained. During glacial times, glaciers formed a huge lake - Lake Missoula. When pressure was too much, biblical volumes of water rushed out of the lake, across the state, and found the Pacific Ocean. This evidently happened numerous times, leaving the landscape forever changed. Palouse Falls shows some of the results.


Palouse Falls showing some of the results of the cataclysmic glacial Missoula Floods.

After walking around in the heat of Palouse Falls, we headed for Steptoe Butte, north of Pullman in the south-east corner of Washington state. The view from the butte of the surrounding farm land was fantastic!

After spending the night in Spokane we drove north and made a minor detour to Trail and Rossland. It was great to learn more about the history of the Le Roi Mine. We drove on to Grand Forks that night and enjoyed some Russian food. The next day we drove through Greenwood and visited the cemetery for Phoenix, one of the largest cities in Canada at one time. So many grave stones marked the deaths of young men, probably killed in the mine.
We then walked about the old chimney of the smelter that was at Greenwood. I remember my visits to Greenwood with my parents to visit our friends, the Cox family and finding it interesting that there were so many Japanese Canadians there. I later learned that this was the result of the forced relocation during WWII. What is worth remembering is that the wealth of these Canadian families, their fishing boats, their land, their cars, was stolen from them by our government. What a shameful part of our history. These were Canadians that were imprisoned and robbed. By our government. Yes I know it was war time.
A cross in the Phoenix graveyard.

We then went on to Oliver to see my friends Lanny and Julie who own Stoneboat Vineyards. Their Pinotage was getting another Lieutenant Governor's award! We had a great meal together. On our last day, we visited a couple of wineries and stopped in at the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory just south of Penticton.We ended up meeting and talking with a scientist working on a small dish only to learn that he had worked at the VLA in New Mexico that we had visited a couple of months previous. Another scientist came out and the conversations just got better. I even learned a tiny tiny bit about interferometry. Dangerously little. :-)
All told, it was a great trip with a great friend. I sure like being retired. :-)


Whistler - July 2011

Location of Whistler Village
For quite a few years Lynn and I have made a trip to Canmore and Jasper for mountain biking, walks, and discovering new restaurants. This year we thought we would try out Whistler / Blackcomb for the same thing. 


Lynn with Green Lake
I was amazed at the diversity that the area offers. Crankworx was on so there were a TON of downhill racers taking to the lifts. Lynn and I cycled the extremities of the Valley Trail and put in over thirty kilometers that day! It was a great day of cruising.
Evidently Lynn has been hiding a "bucket list" from me because she informed me that she wanted to go on the Ziptrek line that goes over Fitzsimmons Creek as it was on her "bucket list". It turned out to be a great deal of enjoyable fun. Well run and very safe, I would highly recommend it. If you have a fear of heights, well, perhaps not. :-)

Whistler was a great alternative to Canmore and Jasper and the two and a half hour drive was a lot better than ten or eleven as well. Oh yea, the restaurants are good as well. :-)



The Rockies - August 19 to 15

Dave, Ken, Chuck, and I made a trip to the Rockies to do some hiking but mainly for Dave to do his drawing and painting and the rest of us to do photography.


Chuck and Dave at Edith Cavell

We started up at Jasper and spent a day up at Edith Cavell, (another picture) then made our way south down the Icefield Parkway making a stop at Sunwapta FallsBow LakeMistaya Canyon (another picture) , and finally to Lake Louise (another picture). We also spent a day up in the Sunshine Meadows near Banff, sometimes getting up close to the wildlife. Even though we couldn't get an open spot on the bus up to Lake O'Hara, it was a marvelous time in a wonderous part of the world.


Red Lobster International Tours go to Spain and Morocco for the Month of October!

The Willis's and Rajalas spent to the month travelling throughout many parts of Spain and four nights in Rabat Morocco. It was a privilige to be able to go to yet another new country for us and learn a little of their culture.


Tapas anyone?

We spent close to a week in Barcelona enjoying the sites around the Plaça de Catalunyaand the Plaça d'Espanya. We saw the outside and inside of the Sagrada Familia along with Gauidi's apartment building, the Casa Mia.
We then took the fast train to Madrid for just under a week.Warm days and cool nights were a welcome change from the heat and humidity of Barcelona. Madrid was just as enjoyable as Barcelona. Besides great museums and neightbourhood walks, we came across paradescelebrating the Spanish speaking world and had many evening walks. Fast trains (300 kph!) made day trips to Toledo (and its church) and Segovia easy and convenient. Town squares and outdoor restaurants were common.



From Madrid we took another fast train to Cordoba to see the famous Roman bridge and even more famous Mesquita with its famous arches.



In Cordoba we rented a car and travelled to the Andalucían hill towns of Arcos and Ronda. These towns were on the frontier between Muslim and Christian forces many years ago. Ronda is famous for being the home of bull fighting, which is now not nearly as popular as it once was. From Ronda 
we made a day trip to Gibralter and saw the famous monkeys.


Ken and the famous Rock of Gibralter. The tacky British tourist district was just across
the jet runway we had to get across before the next flight landed! Honest!


From Ronda, we drove to where we were going to stay for a week - Granada. The apartment we rented was in the hill town of Guejar Sierra which was about thirty minutes east of Granada. The town of Granada itself has a very interesting old section, especially the cathedral with its ornamented apse, but the main draw of the place is the incredible moorish palaca of Alhambra. It consists of many buildings, rooms, pools, walkways, and gardens and is one of the most visited places in all of Spain.

After a week of relaxation, we drove down to Malaga and took a flight to Casablanca Morocco. We then took a couple of trains to Rabat, the administrative capital of the country where we got a gentle taste of present day Muslim culture. Our hotel was across from the parliament buildings where well organized and peaceful demonstrations took place most afternoons. We walked through the souk and kasbah and enjoyed the view from the beach. We also did a long days walk and visited the mausoleum of Mohammed V and the ancient Roman ruins at Chellah. Before very long, it was time catch our plane back in Casablanca to head back to Barcelona.
We spent our last two nights in Barcelona to avoid a very long return to Vancouver. It was a very good trip with very good friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment