Tuesday, January 24, 2017

2008 - Rockies Retreat

My Flickr site for more pictures - 

 A Rockies Retreat

Location of Lake Louise


Lake Louise

Ken Willis and I stayed in Lake Louise for a week in mid September. Ken wanted to do some hiking, and I wanted to do some photography I think we started a new yearly tradition. The weather was great! It was warm during the day and just freezing and night. No bugs!

Rock Isle Lake - Sunshine Meadows

We started off by going up to Sunshine. After taking the bus up to the village, Ken went off for Egypt Lake and Ball Pass. I was to pick him up on the highway a little west of Marble Canyon in two days. I struck off for Rock Isle, Grizzly, and Larix Lakes in search of images. The day ended with a thunderstorm and snowfall up at Egypt Lake. Ken did a great write-up of his trip in Clubtread.
The next day I got up before dawn and took my camera and tripod to Lake Louise to see what dawn would bring. I spent close to three hours there, but I was smart enough to go to Laggans for a "Breakfast on a Bun" and get a thermos full of coffee. I really enjoyed having the time to see if I could capture worthwhile images. One of my attempts is the top picture on this page.
I then spent the afternoon along the Bow Valley Parkway exploring its features. One of the highlights was the hike through Johnson Canyon. I ended up in Banff with a drive up the Norquay road for an overview of Banff and then a drive along the road on the north side of the Vermillion Lakes for views of Mt. Rundle reflected in the marshy lakes.

Ken's second campsite at Ball Junction was awash with leftover snow, mud, and running water, all through the campsite. When he saw that, he continued on to the highway and showed up in Lake Louise around supper time.



Plain of Six Glaciers

After getting back together, Ken and I went up to the Plain of Six Glaciers. The usual hords of tourists crowded the trail along Lake Louise, but as we hiked up to the teahouse, the crowds thinned out. While we were taking a break there, we heard, then saw a mighty hunk of ice fall off Mt. Victoria. It was loud! A large ice cloud billowed in front of the avalanche and spread across the glacier below, followed by a slow moving wet snow avalanche ended the event.Ken and I continued on to the end of the trail where it almost buts up against Mt. Victoria where you can look up the "death trap" and see the Abbot Hut. It was an enjoyable hike.


My silhouette in Bow Lake
The next day I wanted to take it easy, so we went up to Bow Lake. Ken and I went together up the trail to the Bow hut as far as the big rock spanning the creek and I went a ways up the other trail towards the Bow Glacier Falls. Ken went on to the Bow hut. I slowly made my way back exploring interesting looking areas for pictures. I spent a fair amount of time along the shore of Bow Lake enjoying the colours.
On the trail to Sentinel Pass looking west

The next day we went off to Sentinel Pass. We first drove to Moraine Lake before the hords of tourists descended, and started up the moderately steep trail. We soon broke out into a larch forest and open country. It was fabulous. The trail levelled off a bit, went by a couple of small lakes, then switch backed its way up to the pass. Being mid September it seemed that nine out of ten people were obviously retirees. The pass is certainly a worthwhile objective. From there, scramblers/climbers go off up the west ridge of Mt. Temple. The route did not look very inviting as it seemed that it was festooned with scree slopes and scree gullies.

Ken at Sentinel Pass

The next day I drove Ken to the Iceline trailhead in Yoho Park for another overnight hike for him and then I spent the day at Marble Canyon, the Paint Pots, and Banff.


Herbert Lake

The following morning I got up before dawn again as I wanted to go up the Icefield Parkway to Herbert Lake and see if dawn would bring some good coloured reflections. It didn't, but again, the thermos of coffee and the quiet solitude was reward enough. I then went back to the campsite, packed up, and drove to Field for a real breakfast.

Kicking Horse River below Natural Bridge
There is a very nice little restaurant beside the big black water tower that I had been to before, and it did not disappoint.After a delicious breaky, I went off to the Natural Bridge and spent well over an hour exploring both sides of the river downstream of the bridge, as well as seeing what I could find for angles above it. Again, it was wonderful to have virtually all the time I wanted to explore the visual experience.
Emerald Lake and Lodge

It was getting close to the time when I needed to drive up to Takaka Falls and pick up Ken from his hike, but I had time for a quick run up to Emerald Lake as I had never been there before. Besides the hords of tourists and their buses and motor homes, I found a beautiful setting. One that would be worthwhile to come back to. I understand there is a trail that goes around the lake that would be nice to hike.I drove up to Takaka Falls with the idea that if Ken was late I would see what pictures I could take of the falls, but he was waiting for me after a an enjoyable hike. It was early enough in the afternoon that we decided to drive all the way home that day.
In retrospect, sitting here at my computer a month later, I have very fond memories of our trip. I feel very fortunate in being able to have the time to go and try to take some decent photographs in an area I dreamed of doing it in. Whether I succeeded or not isn't that important compared to the enjoyable process trying to do so. 
Ken and I have know one another since grade school. We have trekked together in Nepal, belayed one another numerous times on wonderful climbs, and travelled in Europe with our wives, so we know one another and get along very well. Did I mention we both enjoy wine and single malts?
I certainly hope we can do it again next year. I will certainly try to make it happen.  




No comments:

Post a Comment