Friday, January 6, 2017

1975 - Golden Ears, Chipmunk Creek, Williamson Lake



Golden Ears - With High School Students!

Location of the Golden Ears
Proper names for the various peaks of Mt. Blanchard

As I remember it, I was teaching at Webster's Corner Elementary and I got a call from Randy Wheating asking if he and Ryan Shellborn could meet with me. When we met he asked if I would be interested in taking him and one or two of his friends up the Golden Ears. Randy and his friends seemed like nice high school students so I said I would. I asked Alan Lizee if he was interested in coming with me, and that's how my relationship with Randy Wheating, Ryan Shellborn, and Gordie Shellborn.



We made it as far as Panarama Ridge that first day, only to have it cloud in and snow during the night. It was spring and the snow was wet and heavy. You couldn't see far. I had the cigarette addiction at that time and I have forgotten my cigarettes. I was miserable. I was cranky. I was not a happy camper. Does the picture show that? Needless to say we had a breakfast of sorts, packed up, and headed down.
The trip was not what we had hoped in terms of weather and destination, but it was the beginning of great friendships.

Chipmunk Creek - Chilliwack Creek area
Location of Chipmunk Creek
Alan and I went for a hike up the Chipmunk Creek valley hoping for an opportunity to explore new territory and perhaps get access to the Lucky Four Group. As the picture suggests, it was a wet trip. To me the picture suggests how keen we were in those days to get out, even when the weather wasn't great. The only way Alan would have taken a full set of rain gear is if he expected to get full on rain. Well, we did.

Williamson Lake - Chilliwack River area

Alan and I made a trip to Williamson Lake, the site of the former Batzer Hut on the south side of Welch and Foley. As I remember it, there were another couple of young guys who were equally optimistic about the chances of good weather that weekend. They camped next to us on the flat area where the hut used to be.
We spent two nights there and we spent our second day doing some minor hiking about, but the winds were high and it snowed off and on all weekend. Again, I can see in the picture that Alan had is trusty yellow rain pants along. 
I remember that Alan had brought up some prepared vegetables for that trip. They tasted great.

Golden Ears - Golden Ears Park
Location of the Golden Ears
Proper names for the various peaks of Mt. Blanchard

Lynn and I did an overnight hike around the back of the Golden Ears. We camped low on the road but had glorious views of the north face of Edge and the weather was good.
The next morning we were able to easily hike up to the eastern part of Panarama Ridge. On the way down, we were able to do bum slides! A fun trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment