Thursday, January 5, 2017

1974 - Needle attempt, Diamond Head, Climbing School, A Winter Sleep

Needle Point - (Blanchard's Needle) Golden Ears Park - West Face Attempt


Lower portion of the west face
From a very young age, the Golden Ears had engraved its image on our minds, walking home north on what is now 256 St. N. The west face on Needle Point (Blanchard's Needle) stands out in profile, and had always created an image of something worth trying.
Ken Willis and I set out early in the summer to tackle the west face with a minimum of equipment and expertise. We found compact rock, dampness, bush, and a lack of time.
When we started our rappels, loose rock cut my near new rope, and we had our first rappel through a small waterfall. All told, an eventful attempt. Later, Garvin Morse and Alan Lizee had a go at it.


Diamond Head - Squamish
Location of Diamond Head  (Elfin Lakes Shelter)


Lynn and Dean at the campsite.


Lynn and I went with Dean and Laury Hewitt for a weekend hike to Diamond Head. I remember Dean's large blue panel truck with its four wheel drive chugging its way up to the parking lot with ease. That truck could go a lot of places! 
Here Lynn perhaps is enjoying the fact that Dean's pipe smoke is keeping some of the bugs away!
We camped in the campsite adjacent to the chalet at Diamond Head and we hiked up to Little Diamond Head. They were wonderful company. Soon after they moved to Prince George we pretty much lost contact with them. I miss them.

Joffre Lakes - Climbing School with Roger Griffiths
Location of Joffre Lakes


Somewhere below the summit of Slalok (Rex's Pillar)


I signed up for a climbing school run by Roger Griffiths in the summer of 1974. I learned new things and learned what I had been doing often wasn't a bad idea either. It was an enjoyable group.

Summit of Slalok (Rex's Pillar)

We did some rock climbing, did an ice school with crevasse rescue, and did a climb of Rex's Pillar.


Winter Sleepover

Notice the woolen knickers!


Lynn and I decided that hiking up part way towards Battery Mountain and camping in the snow would be a good idea so we left our car at Mike Lake, hiked up through light snow and had a very comfortable night. 
I find it interesting to see all the clothing styles, ground insulation, and tents that have changed over the years. I don't wear woolen knickers anymore. I don't have my Crestline Expedition tent that sags in the snow and rain, but a domed tent that maintains separation between tent and fly much better, and perhaps most importantly, I use a comfy Thermarest mattress for much better comfort during those long winter sleeps.





No comments:

Post a Comment