Wednesday, January 4, 2017

1971 - Coleman Glacier, Diamond Head, American Border Peak

Mt. Baker and the Coleman Glacier
Location of Mt. Baker
My Flickr site for more pictures - 


A lot of the regular route in view


Paula Panek and I went to elementary and high school together and we enjoyed doing hiking together. On this day we went up to explore the lower part of the Coleman glacier on Mt. Baker. It was an enjoyable day.

Diamond Head - Squamish
Location of the Elfin Lakes


Sunrise on the Pitt River


On the drive to Squamish early in the morning, the mist was coming off the Pitt River. I stopped and took this photograph. I often miss not having the time to just enjoy looking for good scenes and recording them.


Elfin Lakes with the Pyramids in the background.


On this day Paula and I hiked up to Diamond Head. The Pyramids are the high group of peaks above and to the right of the picnic table. Dennis Brown and I had climbed one of the peaks in 1970.

American Border Pk - Chilliwack River Area
Location of the American Border Peak


A moat around the base.


Alan and I drove up the Tamihi Creek far enough for us to see the border cut going up towards the Canadian and American border peaks. We thrashed our way up the cut and then traversed to the col between the two peaks. A little scrambling took us to the col.
From there, we made our way up to the base of the north side to find the rock separated from the snow with a large moat. That was enough to drain my enthusiasm at least. I think Alan was ready to continue as usual.
At the base of the rock of the American Border Peak was a brass border marker. It was a segmented metal marker about a meter tall. To the east and west you could easily make out the border slash that had been cut to mark our border with the United States.


The Lucky Four Group in the distance.


From the moat, we scrambled over to two little peaks to the north. Although he is almost invisible, in the picture, Alan is on the summit of the left peak. I remember the rock on this small peak being hot as it was facing south and you couldn't leave your hands on the rock for a long time without them getting uncomfortably hot. In the distance is the Lucky Four Group with Mt. Cheam on the extreme left and ending with Mt. Foley on the right hand side. I scanned Alan on the little peak at a higher resolution and superimposed the magnifying glass. 


Mt. Baker


Mom, Lynn, Me, Dad, Todd


I have been blessed with good friends and wonderful parents. My friend Todd Huston is in the picture on the extreme right and my mom and dad were talked into a hike up the steep gravelly moraine to the start of the climbing route on Mt. Baker.
In the foreground is Lynn Grasser who, four years later, became my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment