Thursday, January 19, 2017

1997 - Jonas Pass and Beyond, Lost in the Kannanaskis

Jonas Pass and Beyond - Canadian Rockies
Apr. Location of Jonas Shoulder
My Flickr site for more pictures - 


Bob and Ken at Jonas Pass looking south

Ken organized a hiking trip in the Rockies and Bob Cuthbert and I filled out the party. The goal was to do a trail from the Icefields to Jasper. It didn't quite turn out that way.

The trail starts near Parker Ridge, just south of the Icefields Center (52.2n 117.1w) and winds its way north first over Nigel Pass, and Jonas Pass being the major one. (52.37n 117.2w) From the trail head, it is just over seven km to Nigel Pass. You first start out in light timber, passing Camp Parker, but quickly getting into alpine vegetation. We stopped for a break on Nigel Pass.
We continued on past Boulder Camp, through small timber until we broke out into a small meadow at Four Point Camp. We set up our tent and tarp. On the descent from Nigel Pass my left knee had bothered me until we had got to our camp. I was very concerned about it, but all I could do was see how it was going to be the next day. It is from this camp that a person can continue east towards Brazeau Lake, and then go north to Jonas Cutoff Camp and then Jonas Shoulder, making a circuit by continuing back through Four Point Camp and Nigel Pass.
The next day started out with a steep climb towards Jonas Pass ten km away. My knee wasn't doing too badly going up hill, but it was definitely not comfortable. The old ski pole I had brought with me was turning out to be a very good idea.
The trail was pretty as it slowly ascended up towards the pass. We crossed numerous creeks and small meadows.
Jonas Pass could be easily missed as it was just a gentle levelling off of the valley before it began its gradual descent to the north.


Near Jonas Pass looking south

The climb up to Jonas Shoulder started out steeply and then tapered off to a gradual climb. It seemed to go on for a long way.


At Jonas Shoulder
At the top of the shoulder my left knee was sore. I was not looking forward to the descent to the east. We had come about sixteen km from our previous campsite, had gained about 1800 ft., and a descent of about 1100 ft over the next three km.
Going down was a real trial. My knee was very painful so descending was a long, slow process, but at least I had got over Jonas Shoulder as I had wanted to.
The next morning was glorious but emotionally gloomy because it was clear to me that I was not going to be able to continue on the rest of the hike with my sore knee. We planned to go to Poboktan Camp and turn west out to the highway instead of heading for Maligne Pass.
At Poboktan Camp I had a good wash in the creek, a good meal, and a quiet read which helped to raise my spirits somewhat. I hung my near new pack up in the tree as there was no bucket to use for food only to have a squirrel chew a hole through the top flap that night.
We hiked out to the highway the next morning with Ken hiking out quickly first to hitch-hike to get the car. Bob and I didn't have to wait too long before he returned.
We spent a rest day in Jasper and the following day I drove Bob and Ken up to Maligne Lake so they could do the Skyline section of the hike. They had a bit of drizzle at first, but it turned out better later on. By doing this, they missed out the middle Maligne Pass part of the hike. (We came back ten years later in 2007 and did it.)
I stayed for two nights at the Mt. Edith Cavell hostel and enjoyed some of the sights of the greater Jasper area while Bob and Ken did their hike. I picked them up on the morning of the third day and we drove home. It was beautiful country and worth visiting again, in spite of the pre-registration and costs.
I subsequently went to a sports medicine doctor and got a good knee brace to keep my knee aligned and it has certainly helped. :-)

Lost in the Kananaskis - south west Alberta
Location of Canyon Creek Campground in the Kananaskis


Chuck, Ken, Keith R., Keith A., Chris at the Canmore Nordic Centre


We set out in a gas guzzling van from Maple Ridge in August of 1997 and went searching for Ken and mountain bike trails. We were Chris Cooper, Keith Akenhead, Chuck McCafferty, and myself. Golden saw us having supper and phoning Anna for directions. I must have gotten things mixed up, because instead of turning right at the entrance to Peter Lougheed Park (map), we drove right through it and nearly ran out of gas!



A ride up "Prairie View" in the drizzle.


A ride to Elbow Lake 


In the wee hours of the night and over 1000 km later, we finally found Ken. During the ensuing days Chuck and Ken risked hypothermia while the rest basked in a restaurant, my rear hub got loose on the way into Mt.Assiniboine (Naiset Cabins), and we got used to camperized van life at night.


Warm and dry. :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment