Thursday, January 5, 2017

1974 - Golden Ears, Wedgemount Lake, Fissile with Dad








The Golden Ears

Location of the Golden Ears

Proper names for the various peaks of Mt. Blanchard 


My Flickr site for more pictures - 



Alan just about an hour below the summit.

Alan Lizee and I did a day trip up the Ears and into the the clouds in April. On the summit we could only see about 10 meters. Having gone up so many times before and being able to leave a trail in the snow made it safe.

No summit view but great to be out.

I remember Alan saying that his troubles seemed to blow away with the wind when he was on the mountain. I suspect many people feel that way.  


Wedgemount Lake - Garibaldi Park

Location of Wedgemount Lake


Note the state of the glacier, then go Google what it looks like now!

Not long after I got back from my bus ride from Nepal to England, and my month long stay in Kent England, Lanny Martiniuk, Ken Willis, and I made a trip to the Wedgmont Lake hut. What I have found remarkable with this picture is its comparison with pictures taken thirty years later. Whereas the glacier front here is over ten meters high and right at the lake, now it has retreated a long way from the lake. All you have to do is Google "Wedgemount Lake" images and see the huge difference.

Fissile with Dad - Whistler/Blackcomb area

A good day with my Dad.

Well, dad was born in 1918 and he got himself up Fissile at the age of , hmmm ... that would make him 56. Not bad at all I would say. Considering what being in the mountains have meant to me, it was a great privilege to be able to be with him on this trip.
The weather was great, and we spent two nights in the hut.
It is amazing what country you can get into with just easy scrambling skills. The view made up for our cloudy trip up the Golden Ears.

Wedgemount Lake - a solo trip

All by myself and quite liking it. 


I took a trip to the hut at Wedgmont Lake by myself for some exercise, relaxation, and some reading. Things turned out quite well in that the weather wasn't too bad, and I had the hut to myself. On the negative side, the hut had a bit of a leak when it rained, and instead of white gas in my fuel container, I had turpentine! After a couple of nights of not so hot food, I went home for a hot meal. It was still a good trip.








No comments:

Post a Comment