Wednesday, January 4, 2017

1970 - Diamond Head New Year's Eve

My Flickr site for more pictures - 

Diamond Head Ski (Garibaldi Park)
Location of the Old Diamond Head Chalet - Elfin Lake Shelter there now.
The Diamond Head Chalet - a bit of B.C. history
Notice the snow cat on the left.
Dennis Brown and I headed up to the Diamond Head Chalet for New Year's Eve. Those were the days when Millie was cooking her wonderful cakes and Amiel and Ottar ran the site and brought tourists up in the bombardier.
The Saddle with Mt. Atwell and Mt. Garibaldi in the background.
A cable tow ran on the slope just east of the chalet. We skied up to the Saddle the next morning - no skins and a poor understanding of waxes! But we had a great time. We got a ride to high point in the bombardier and skied down the road. I remember that the bombardier dug deep ruts in the snow and there were high vertical banks cut by the machine. It made for some hair raising turns!
The world through snow goggles.
Winter is such a beautiful time of year.
I was to learn in later years that Chris Cooper spent a season working at the lodge and drove the the old Bombardiers up and town the trail.
For the picture to the left, I held my goggles in front of the lens of my old Agfa view finder camera. I like the results. Kind of a feminine look don't you think?
A composite with Dennis Brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment